Timeline & History

Below is a brief timeline of the history of Sadleir House since it was built in 1892. Please contact us if you have additions or corrections to this timeline.

1892 The Kendry Mansion is built for local businessman and politician James Kendry by contractor J. C. Rutherford (brother to Kendry's wife Elizabeth).
1902 James Kendry sells the Kendry Mansion for $10,000 to James R. Stratton, publisher of the Peterborough Examiner and local politician. On the same day, Stratton sells the house, now known as Strathormond, to his wife Eliza for "Natural love and $1.00."
c.1905 James Stratton builds the Coach House to house his prize-winning Hackney horses.
1917 With the death of her husband the previous year, Eliza Stratton sells Strathormond to local contractor Richard Sheehy for $12,750.17. Like Stratton, Sheehy had the house registered in his wife Mary Ann's name; the family changes the name of the house to The Castle.
1961 29 March John Lynch, local drugist, forecloses and pays $4,000 in back taxes; Sarsfield Sheehy continues to live in The Castle up until 1963.
1963 20 September Purchase of 751 George Street North by Trent University from John Lynch for $22,500.
1964 25 January Trent University establishes Peter Robinson & Catharine Parr Traill Colleges. See: Press Release. 17 October Official Opening Ceremonies of Trent University. See: Speech by President T. H. B. Symons.
1965 The Link is built to connect the main House to the Carriage House, designed by noted Modernist architect Ron Thom.
1999 12 November Trent University's Board of Governors approve the Capital Develop Strategy, outlining plans for the closure of both Peter Robinson and Catharine Parr Traill Colleges, despite objections from the University Senate and widespread community outrage.
2000 21 January Application for judicial review filed by Professors Peter Kulchyski, Ian McLachlan, and Andrew Wernick. The review is an attempt to establish that the Board did not have the authority to make its decision in face of the opposition from Senate. See: Nelson, D. A. (2004) "Judicial Review in the Community of Scholars: A Short History of Kulchinsky v. Trent University" 13 Education & Law Journal, pp. 367-96.
2001 26 February Beginning of the non-violet occupation of the Vice-President Academic's office by the "Trent Eight." 1 March, 3:00am 20-25 Police officers in full riot gear with a police dog forcibly remove the eight women from the Vice-President Academic's office.
2002 15 February Trent University sells the Peter Robinson College properties on George Street to the Moloney Project Develop Corporation for $1.995 million. Included in the deal is a lease-back of the Townhouses until August 2003 with a cost of $200,000 per year.
2003 12 Februrary Trent University enters into a four-year lease of the former Penetcostal Bible College located two blocks north of the former Peter Robinson College. 23 March The Trent Central Student Association ratifies the results of a student referendum, with the majority of students voting in favour of the creation of a $22 per student levy to establish a "non-profit, cultural and educational student facility."
2004 19 February The P. R. Community & Student Association (PRCSA) is incorporated with Ontario Corporation Number 1607850 27 February, 4:00pm The PRCSA become the official owners of 751 George Street North with the closing of the purchase deal. 3 April Official (Re)Opening Ceremonies of Sadleir House